Summer in Wisconsin is swarming with Mosquitoes and Flea Markets. But don’t worry, flea markets are held during the day while the mosquitoes are sleeping in the shade and the two rarely meet.
What is a Flea Market?
Sometimes they are called Maxwell Street Days or Swap Meets. A venue is setup at a fairground or a park where vendors bring products to sell. Vendors pay a small fee to rent a space to park their vehicles and set up tables. Usually these spaces are outside, but there are a number of venues that are setup in a building.
Who are vendors?
Vendors are people who use flea markets to sell their products. Products range from antiques, collectibles, factory overstocks, crafts, household items, farm produce plus so much more. Many are small business owners who do this part time to earn extra income. It takes a lot of work to bring products to market.
Video: Tips for Visiting a Flea Market
- Arrive as early in the day as you can. Most items are one of a kind and once they are sold they are out of stock.
- Arrive late to get bargains. Tired sellers don’t want to pack up goods to take home.
- Wear good walking shoes.
- Take along a tote or shopping cart to carry your goods.
- Know your prices. Not all items are bargains. But, if is something that you truly love and can find nowhere else go ahead and purchase it.
- Make small talk with the vendors. They have amazing stories to tell.
- Learn from the experts – ask and listen.
- Wear sunscreen if the event is held outside.
Looking for Something to Do?
Whether you are on vacation or just out for a Sunday drive you can find a swap meet just a short distance away. Wisconsin is abundant with flea markets and families have been visiting them for decades. They are usually held on weekends.
To discover who, what, where and when, check out our calendar of events to plan your outing. Please call ahead to verify that the event has not been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
Here are a few Flea Markets in Wisconsin to get you started: (listed in alphabetical order)
7 Mile Fair
Cedarburg Maxwell Street Days
Elkhorn Flea Market
Mukwonago Maxwell Street Days
Princeton Flea Market
Shawano Flea Market